Even though I am not a fan of cold weather, Christmas is my favorite time of the year! I have absolutely loved the holidays since I was a little girl. I love the lights and all the decorations and wrapping presents and the music and the food!! I love the sweets: candy canes, red velvet cake, cookies, and my list could go on forever! I love coming downstairs on Christmas morning (in Christmas PJ’s of course), pouring a cup of coffee (peppermint creamer), putting a casserole in the oven, starting a fire and watching my boys open their presents. It is such a joyful time with them cherishing the peace of the season and praising our Lord Jesus.
Sometimes it’s hard to truly enjoy the season. It is such a busy time and it can be very stressful. There is so much to do and events to attend that the season can pass you by in a blur and you never get to stop and enjoy it. Just like in everyday life, I have to prioritize and choose doing what brings joy. As I get older, I am learning that it is okay to say no. When my state of mind is peaceful and not overwhelmed, I am able to be a better me. And a better me means a better mom, wife, friend, and person in general.
So, stop and enjoy this glorious season. Choose what matters and make this Christmas the most joyful one yet! Just in case you need a little stress reliever to get the process started, try one of my favorite “mommy treats”:
Candy Canes or Peppermints
- Crush candy canes and pour onto a plate
- Pour 2 tablespoons honey onto a plate
- Dip martini glass rim in honey then into the crushed candy canes
- In a shaker, mix 3 shots vanilla vodka, 1 shot peppermint schnapps, and 2 shots simple syrup. Add ice and shake rigorously.
- Pour into prepared martini glass, add a splash of grenadine, and garnish with a small candy cane.
Makes 2 servings