Baked Creamy Chicken Tortellini
pasta, dinner, chicken
This yummy creamy and cheesy baked chicken tortellini is ultimate comfort food. It is not the lowest calorie dish nor is it the quickest to make but it is worth it! I served it with a heaping side of fresh, steamed broccoli (mainly to feel better about myself). This dish is perfect to make on the weekend when you have a little extra time. It was kid and husband approved at my house! I had a lot of pots going at the same time but I would recommend making this dish in stages. It goes well with a nice glass of chardonnay.
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.25 pounds)
1 20 ounce package Buitoni three cheese tortellini
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shredded six cheese Italian cheese
3-4 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
1 8 ounce block cream cheese
4 tablespoons butter (half a stick)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup shredded parmesan
2 teaspoons dried basil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
2. Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
3. Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Strain when done. (while this is cooking you can get the chicken started)
4. In a skillet, add the 2 tablespoons olive oil and add cut up chicken. Saute over medium heat until chicken is done, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside when done.
5. In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add cream cheese and heavy cream. Whisk slowly as cream cheese melts. Once cream cheese melts, add basil and parmesan cheese. Continue stirring until cheese is melted through.
6. In a large bowl, combine the strained tortellini, the cooked chicken, the creamy sauce, and the crumbled bacon. Mix well to completely cover in sauce.
7. Pour the mixture into the greased casserole dish and top with the Italian cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until bubbly.